Korean-style Bibimbap with rump steak & egg
Running the Marathon this month? If anyone knows how to fuel your body it’s the guys at Mindful Chef. Their healthy recipe boxes are so good, they recently became the official recipe box supplier of the English Institute of Sport. We asked them to share their favourite post-training recipe. They say: “Delicious and hearty, this is the perfect dinner following a long run. This protein-rich meal will help repair any damaged tissue from training, whilst a good source of carbohydrates will help replenish depleted stores. Full of vegetables and leafy greens too, this dinner will ensure you get all of the vitamins and minerals necessary to keep you feeling your best in the lead up to the big race.” Single recipe boxes from £7 per person (mindfulchef.com)
- 80g brown rice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 spring onions
- 80g cavolo nero
- 200g carrot
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 x 150g rump steak
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp chilli paste
- 2 tsp white
– sesame seeds
1. Boil a kettle. Rinse the brown rice and add to a saucepan with 400ml boiling water and a pinch of sea salt. Simmer for 20-25 mins, then drain.
2. Finely chop or grate the garlic and finely slice the spring onions. Thinly slice the cavolo nero. Using a vegetable peeler or julienne peeler, peel the carrot into long thin strips.
3. Heat a frying pan on a medium heat with half of the sesame oil. Season the steak on both sides and place in the pan. Cook until golden brown, 2-3 mins each side for medium rare or 4-5 mins each side for well-done. Remove the steak from the pan and leave to rest. Keep the pan for cooking the vegetables.
4. Heat the same pan the steak was in on a medium heat. Cook the garlic for 1 min, then add the cavolo nero, spring onion and half of the tamari and cook for a further 3 mins.
5. Place a small frying pan over a medium high heat, add the remaining sesame oil and fry the eggs for a few mins until cooked.
6. Thinly slice the steak. Mix the remaining tamari with the chilli paste. Spoon the brown rice into two warm bowls, top with the cavolo nero, raw carrot strips, fried egg and sliced steak. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the steak and drizzle the chilli sauce over the top.